2017/18 Principal’s Message
To our new and returning students and families, welcome to Willoughby! We are pleased to have you as members of our school community and hope you will take pride in your school!
At Willoughby, we strive to develop successful learners through working together in a caring environment, and create a school community that is inclusive, demonstrates empathy and respect towards other, responds when support or action is needed, and values differences.
Creating an environment for open communication, listening, supporting, and responding empathetically, and acting to ensure the social, emotional, and physical safety of all are things we value tremendously at our school. We work hard to model and teach personal and social responsibility, provide opportunities for creative and critical thinking, celebrate our diversity and successes, and work cooperatively for the benefit of all.
Parents, please use your child’s agenda as an organizational tool. It will help you keep track of information coming from the school and your child’s classroom. Please read and initial your child’s agenda each night and ensure your child brings it to school each morning. The agenda can also be used to send messages to your child’s teacher.
Students, you are the heart of Willoughby Elementary and we hope you will work hard to have a successful school year. Strive to be an enthusiastic, motivated learner. Become involved by participating in your classroom, using your agenda to keep yourself organized, completing your homework, following school rules, and helping someone in need when you are out on the playground. Also, listen to your parents, work with them, respect them, trust them, and love them.
Here are some helpful tips and friendly advice:
- Every rule is there for a reason: to protect your safety, well-being, and happiness. Respecting the rules makes our school a better place to work, learn, and play in.
- Keep your hands and feet to yourself.
- Always use kind words and actions: don’t allow your anger to take control.
- Remember to tell an adult right away if you or someone else has been hurt.
- Respect yourself, respect others, and respect your school and community.
- Seek adult help after you have tried your best to solve a problem or conflict.
- You cannot always control what other people say and do, but you can almost always control how you act, react, and respond. Only you are responsible for your own actions. Always use your WITS (Walk Away, Ignore, Talk it Out, Seek Help).
- Sometimes things don’t happen as quickly as you would like. Be patient.
- Laugh, smile a lot, and always try your best!
- Think positive and be positive!
The staff and I are looking forward to another wonderful year of working and learning together at Willoughby Elementary. Welcome back to school!
Mrs. P. Giovani